Enroll in Health Coverage
Need Health Insurance?
HealthCare Access Maryland can help you sign up for a private (qualified) health plan or Medicaid coverage through Maryland Health Connection, the state’s official health insurance marketplace.
You may apply for Medicaid at any time throughout the year.
Medicaid is no-cost or low-cost health insurance through the State of Maryland. You may qualify for Medicaid if you are a household of 4 with income below $33,000. If eligible, your coverage will begin on the first day of the month in which you apply. You may also qualify for three months of retroactive coverage to cover medical bills.
If you have enrolled in Medicaid and have not yet received your card or your packet from HealthChoice to select your Managed Care Organization (MCO), please contact our office for assistance at 410-500-4710. Your application may be missing a required document.
Re-Enroll in Medicaid
If you have been active on Medicaid for a year, or more, it may be time for you to re-enroll in order to keep your coverage. To complete a renewal application, you will have to complete a new application in Maryland Health Connection. Click here for additional MA renewal information. For assistance with your application, please call our hotline at 410-500-4710 or come into our office at 201 E. Baltimore Street, Suite 1500, Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Get a Qualified Health Plan
Open Enrollment for 2016 has now ended. The next open enrollment period will begin on November 1, 2017. You may be able to sign up for a Qualified Health Plan if you have recently experienced one of the following life events:
- You have had a change in household size due to a birth, adoption, death, marriage, or divorce
- Your household income has changed due to a loss in hours, loss of employment, a promotion, a new job, or new government benefit
- You have experienced a loss of health coverage due to the loss of a job, loss of benefits, divorce, death of a spouse, or aging off of your parents’ insurance policy
For questions about whether or not you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, please contact one of our Navigators.
Who is eligible?
Maryland Health Connection is open to all legal residents of Maryland. In general, to obtain health coverage through Maryland Health Connection, you must live in Maryland and be a U.S. citizen or be lawfully present. Family members who are not applying for coverage will not be asked their immigration status. Click here for frequently asked questions regarding eligibility.
How do I enroll?
You can enroll in person, by phone, or online.
- Visit an HCAM office
- Baltimore City: 201 E. Baltimore St., 15th floor | Monday–Friday 8:30–4:30
- Baltimore County: 523 Main St., Reisterstown | Monday–Friday: 10–6; Saturday 9–1
Meet with a certified navigator to get help completing the enrollment process. Navigators can help you explore plans and enroll in private health insurance or Medicaid. They can also help you learn about your eligibility for federal tax credits and cost-sharing subsidies to help you pay for your insurance plan. Throughout the year, our navigators will be at sites throughout Baltimore City, Baltimore County, and Anne Arundel County. See our enrollment sites and events to learn where you can get in-person enrollment assistance.
Want to make an appointment? Call 410-500-4710.
- Call Maryland Health Connection Call Center: 1-855-642-8572 (TTY: 1-855-642-8573)
- Go online: marylandhealthconnection.gov.
- Download the Enroll MHC mobile app
What documents will I need to enroll?
When you are ready to sign up for health insurance, you will need the following information and documents:
- Social Security numbers for everyone in your family who will be covered by your health insurance (or documents for any legal immigrants who need insurance)
- Birth dates and general information about you and your family members who are applying for health coverage
- Employer and income information for everyone in your family (for example, pay stubs, W-2 wages, tax statements)
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance
- Information about any job-related health insurance available to your family
- Looking for a navigator or assister to help you enroll in a Qualified Health Plan or Medicaid? Visit the Enrollment Sites area of our Web site.
- Get answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Qualified Health Plans.
- Get answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Medicaid.
- Download the Application Checklist.
- Learn more about HCAM’s role in helping Marylanders get health insurance.
To find a navigator or to get answers to general questions,
dial our Call Center at 410-500-4710.